Walking in Eden
'The High Cup Walk' as seen on the ITV1 series 'Best Walks with a View with Julia Bradbury'
New! The Ullswater Way - a new stunning 20 mile walking route around Ullswater. The route can be walked in either direction and from any starting point. Why not walk the route in shorter sections, using an open top bus or steamer to start your journey! Download the official map and guide from the Ullswater website.
Eden in Cumbria - The Lake District is a paradise for walkers. As well as Lake District walking, Eden also offers the limestone landscape of the Orton Fells, the beautiful River Eden, countryside and attractive villages of the Eden Valley, and part of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). Alfred Wainwright's guides feature numerous fells around Ullswater (arguably England's most beautiful lake) and Haweswater. The northern fringe of the Howgill Fells as far as the Yorkshire Dales National Park is an area for quiet uninterrupted walking.
Travel on the famous Settle-Carlisle Railway and walk from stations along the Eden Valley section of the line.
Kirkby Stephen and Alston have 'Walkers are Welcome' accreditation with Kirkby Stephen being the first town in Cumbria to have obtained this.
Listen to the Eden Walking podcast our Penrith TIC staff recorded with Walks Around Britain. Hear all about how great Eden is for walkers! (The Eden walking segment starts at 6 minutes 30 seconds on the podcast).
Here are some ideas for walking routes to get you started. Local Tourist Information Centres stock a full range of walking guide books, leaflets and OS maps to help you discover and enjoy Eden on foot. Whether you are looking for a full day's fell walk in the Lake District hills around Ullswater or a short stroll along the River Eden, the choice is yours!
Just make your choice from the list below to find out more:
- Family Walks: Our easiest walks and town trails on level paths over short distances
- Town Trails: Town trails for Appleby, Kirkby Stephen, Penrith and Alston
- Accessible Walks: Suitable for wheelchairs and pushchairs
- Guided Walks: Including walks from stations on the famous Settle-Carlisle railway
- Fell Walks: High level walks across steeper, exposed and sometimes-rocky terrain
- Long Distance Walks: Longer distance routes including the Coast-to-Coast Walk and the Pennine Way both of which run through Eden
- Rambles: Leisurely strolls in our valleys and on lower-lying fells
- Walking Help: The Ordnance Survey maps covering Eden, weather forecasts and the Countryside Code
- Walking leaflets and OS Maps: A selection of local leaflets with more information on walks in the area
- Outdoor Shops: Details of shops in Eden which sell walking and outdoor equipment
- Walking Events: Visit our events listing and search for 'walking events' in Eden, including guided walks and talks. Annual walking events include The Ullswater Outdoor Festival in late September, plus local guided walks
The Eden Trails
There are a series of Eden Trails designed to inspire more people to explore the fabulous hidden gems on offer in Eden. They are all downloadable and trails include Art and Culture, Eden's Heritage, The Great Outdoors, The River Eden, plus food trails for the Eden Valley and Penrith.
- Download the Eden Trails via the Nurture Lakeland website.
There is an Explore More Eden mobile app which can be downloaded for free from the App Store or Google Play.
Geocaching in Eden
There are millions of Geocaches hidden around the world - and there are lots to discover in Eden. Visit the Geocaching website for more information on the locations around Eden and get exploring!
Dog owners are very welcome in Eden
To help make your visit enjoyable and relaxed, please keep your dog on a lead and pick up your dog fouling in all of our towns and villages. Bags of dog waste can be disposed of in any council litter bin, dog waste bin, or in the dustbin at your accommodation.
Also, please refrain from walking your dog in any dog exclusion zones, which should be clearly marked. Guidance can be found on the Eden District Councill website with a full legal explanation of all the Dog Control Orders (2008).
Looking for walker friendly accommodation in Eden?
The Eden area offers a range of walker-friendly places to stay. Establishments in our Eden and Lake District accommodation section displaying 'Walkers Welcome' provide extra facilities and services for walking guests confirmed by inspection.