Get Around Eden
Once you are here, you can begin your tour of Eden. You could even leave the car behind and use the bus, train, bike, Steamer or electric car (a Twizy!)
Watch Lonely Planet Ambassador Chloe Gunning visit the Lake District without a car.
Current road works and improvements
Current and upcoming road works in Cumbria are available on the Westmorland and Furness website.
For up to date information and timetables please visit the Settle to Carlisle Railway website.
Bus journeys will continue to be capped at £2 until the end of 31 December 2024 as the government scheme is extended once again.
Bus Timetables for Eden can be found on the Stagecoach website.
- Traveline offers comprehensive travel information for Eden
- Cumbria Classic Coaches offer trips and excursions throughout the year on their vintage half-cab buses, capturing the spirit of England's rural history. Details of the heritage routes around Eden are available on their website
- Fellrunner buses serve most of the villages in the Penrith area with services to Penrith or Carlisle. All buses are driven by local volunteers for the benefit of the community. Most services allow for about 3 hours in Penrith and 4 hours in Carlisle
- National Express coaches operate a service from Penrith to destinations outside Eden. For further information telephone 08717 818181
- NBM run a service in and around Penrith for further information telephone 01768 892727
- Stagecoach run a bus service within Eden with the 563 bus service Penrith to Appleby (and return)
- Telfords 680 service between Nenthead, Alston, Brampton and Carlisle runs Monday to Saturday (excluding Bank Holidays).
Western Dales Bus S6 service runs Kirkby Stephen to Penrith each Tuesday, the S5 service to Kendal each Thursday and the S4 Dent - Sedbergh - Kirkby Stephen - Brough service each Friday
- Wright Bros coaches operate services from Nenthead and Alston to Hexham, Newcastle, Brampton and Carlisle. For further information telephone 01434 381200
Why not explore Eden's epic scenery by bike? Bring your own or hire one when you get here to discover all that Eden has to offer.
If you are exploring Eden on an e-bike, visit our webpage for more information on where you can charge your electric bike.
Ullswater 'Steamers' create the perfect opportunity to travel around Lake Ullswater by boat.
Car Hire and Rental
Enterprise Car Hire, Penrith
Westmorland Vehicle Hire, Penrith - 01768 864546
Eden Garage, Temple Sowerby, Penrith
Practical Car Rental, Penrith
Lake District Chauffeurs offer Chauffeur Services to visitors and businesses visiting Eden and surrounding areas.
Electric Cars (Twizy)
For transport with a difference - a flock of electric 'sheep' - Twizys - are now available to hire to explore Eden and the Ullswater Valley. They are available for hire and are the perfect way to take short journeys around the area in the knowledge that your low carbon footprint will be helping the area.
Details of where you can charge your electric car are available on our electric car charging points webpage.
Co-Wheels Car Club
Collect your Co-wheels car from Penrith Railway Stations at any time, day or night, for pay as you go car hire to get you around Eden. Members can access cars 24 hours a day, 7 days a week with keyless entry to the vehicles, allowing your car hire to fit seamlessly with your train travel. A simple hourly and mileage charge covers fuel and comprehensive insurance - so all you do is the driving! Cars are in designated bays and can be booked in advance or last minute either on-line or over the phone.
For any further information about getting around Eden, please contact Penrith Tourist Information Centre.