Old Coach Road (Mountain Bike Ride)
East of Ullswater the massive Helvellyn range presents a formidable wall of high peaks. The first feasible breach in its defences is on the flanks of Clough Head and Matterdale Common at the northern end. At this point an old coaching road links Dockray with St John's in the Vale and provides an exciting high-level mountain bike route. The riding is a combination of moderate technical challenges with some fantastic descents and a pleasant return via minor roads and cycle tracks giving wide ranging views of both Skiddaw and Blencathra.
- Start/finish: Aira Force Car Park, GR NY400199
- Distance: 19.5 miles (31.4km)
- Grade: Medium - Challenge
- Refreshments: Cafes: Aira Force
- Pubs: Dockray, Threlkeld, Scales, Troutbeck