Orton Fells Ride
Ancient Orton village (with its own chocolate factory) makes a welcome midway refreshment stop after you've ridden out of the Eden Valley and entered the grey limestone of the Orton Fells area. Skirt around Great Asby Scar National Nature Reserve (some of Britain's best limestone pavement) passing though Great Asby, another attractive village on your way back to Appleby.
Partly on old drove roads amidst outstanding scenery, and sections of the Pennine Cycleway (68), the Walney to Wear and Whitby Cycle Route (20) and National Route 71.
- Start/finish: Appleby TIC in the town centre (pay and display car park is signed)
- Distance: 27.3 miles (44km) Shortcut shown on map
- Grade: Long - Hard (all on road)
- Refreshments: Pub in Crosby Ravensworth; shop, coffee house, tearoom and hotel in Orton; pub in Great Asby
- Public loos: Appleby, Orton.
Download this cycle route and map: