Attractions and Events in and around Alston and the North Pennines
Many visitors discover Alston Moor by chance, but most return because this is such an ideal base for a linger stay, offering a wide range of facilities in a beautiful setting. There are so many places to discover within or near Alston Moor that you may need to visit Alston Local Links to discover the full range of possibilities.
Attractions on and near Alston Moor
Please check individual attraction websites for the latest up to date information on opening arrangements before visiting
- South Tynedale Railway - Take a ride on one of the lovingly restored steam and diesel engines on the South Tynedale Railway, a round trip from Alston to Kirkhaugh takes around 50 minutes through the beautiful scenery of the South Tyne valley
- Visit The Hub Museum with its interesting local history and bygone transport collection
- Nenthead Mines have open days with underground trips into the mines
- The Hive at Nenthead - a newly opened arts and visitor centre, housed in a restored Wesleyan Chapel, offers hospitality in its fabulous café and exciting gallery space
- Ashgill Force (waterfall)
- Skiing is available at Yad Moss (open only if there is sufficient snow)
- There are lovely play parks in Alston, Nenthead and Garrigill for young families
- Nearby is Epiacum Roman Fort "the most significant archaeological monument in the region" - Prof. Stewart Ainsworth from TV's Time Team, with it's newly opened Farm Shop and tearooms
- Nearby is Killhope Lead Mining Museum - a multi-award winning 19th century mining museum in the centre of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB)
For more details of things to do, visit our Attractions listing.
Stargazing in the North Pennines
The North Pennines has some of the darkest skies in the country where you can see 1000s of stars on clear nights, so it’s the perfect place for stargazing. Here, you are away from busy towns and cities where there is lots of light spillage creating that familiar orange glow that blocks out the stars.
There are more Dark Sky Discovery Sites in the North Pennines than anywhere else in the UK.
For more information visit the North Pennines AONB website.
Events to look out for around Alston
- South Tynedale Railway events
- Nenthead Gala - held in May
- Alston Sheepdog Trials - held in June
- Alston Gala - held in June
- Alston Live Music Festival - held in July
- Alston Agricultural Show - held in September
- Alston Flower Show - held in September