Make sure you are fully prepared when you are going out walking for a gentle stroll or a challenging walk up Helvellyn. This page has all the information you need and key contacts to make sure you are fully prepared.
Safety on the fells
Weather conditions on the fell tops can change very quickly so it pays to go well prepared when walking on them. Also check the weather forecast before you set off.
Richard Warren, Chairman of the Lake District Search and Mountain Rescue Association recommends that you "have a map and compass, plan the route and carry a mobile phone, some spare clothes and a whistle and torch." It's a good idea to leave details of your route at wherever you are staying or with friends.
The Mountain Rescue website also gives advice for fell and mountain users on how to stay safe on the fells.
You can also check your mobile phone reception coverage before your trip on the fells.
- Visit our Weather section for a 5 day forecast
- Visit the Met Office website for a 5-day forecast
- Call the Lake District National Park's Weatherline service on 0844 846 2444
Help us all to respect, protect and enjoy our countryside:
- Be safe, plan ahead and follow any signs
- Leave gates and property as you find them
- Protect plants and animals and take your litter home
- Keep dogs under close control
- Consider other people
Find out more from the Natural England website