Attractions and Events in and around Alston and the North Pennines
Many visitors discover Alston Moor by chance, but most return because this is such an ideal base for a linger stay, offering a wide range of facilities in a beautiful setting. There are so many places to discover within or near Alston Moor that you may need to visit Alston Local Links to discover the full range of possibilities.
Attractions on and near Alston Moor
Please check individual attraction websites for the latest up to date information on opening arrangements before visiting.
- South Tynedale Railway - Take a ride on one of the lovingly restored steam and diesel engines on the South Tynedale Railway, a round trip from Alston to Kirkhaugh takes around 50 minutes through the beautiful scenery of the South Tyne valley
- Visit The Hub Museum with its interesting local history and bygone transport collection
- Nenthead Mines have open days with underground trips into the mines
- The Hive at Nenthead - a newly opened arts and visitor centre, housed in a restored Wesleyan Chapel, offers hospitality in its fabulous café and exciting gallery space
- Ashgill Force (waterfall)
- Skiing is available at Yad Moss (open only if there is sufficient snow)
- There are lovely play parks in Alston, Nenthead and Garrigill for young families
- Nearby is Epiacum Roman Fort "the most significant archaeological monument in the region" - Prof. Stewart Ainsworth from TV's Time Team, with it's newly opened Farm Shop and tearooms
- Nearby is Killhope Lead Mining Museum - a multi-award winning 19th century mining museum in the centre of the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB)
For more details of things to do, visit our Attractions listing.
Events to look out for around Alston
- Alston Community Market - held on the first Saturday of the month (not every month - check our 'What's On' listing for dates
- Alston Agricultural Show - held in September
- Alston Flower Show - held in September
- Alston Gala - held in June
- Alston Live Music Festival - held in July
- Nenthead Gala - held in May
- Alston Sheepdog Trials - held in June
- North Pennines Walking Festival
- South Tynedale Railway events