Quality Cumbria and Local Inspections
With the help of VisitBritain and in partnership with the local inspection schemes, Cumbria Tourism have developed the Quality Assurance programme Quality Cumbria. The assessors visit an accommodation provider every year and carry out a routine day visit. You can be assured that if you select an accommodation provider who has been assessed by Quality Cumbria then it has been assessed to national standards, ensuring clean, comfortable and fit for purpose accommodation.
Contact Cumbria Tourism:
- Address: Cumbria Tourism, Windermere Road, Staveley, Kendal, Cumbria LA8 9PL
- Telephone: 01539 825011
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Web: www.cumbriatourism.org
National Inspection Star Ratings
The star ratings of the AA and VisitBritain National Inspection Schemes give a clear guide as to what you can expect. Properties are visited annually by trained, impartial assessors so you can have confidence that your accommodation has been thoroughly checked and rated for quality before you make a booking.
- Hotels are given a rating from one to five stars, the more stars, the greater the range of facilities and level of services provided. Country House Hotel and Small Hotel are also included under this designation.
- Guest Accommodation includes Bed and Breakfasts, Guest Houses, Farmhouses, Restaurants with Rooms and Inns. Guest accommodation properties are likely to be smaller than hotels with perhaps more of a family home feel and approach and a less structured service. The ratings indicate progressively higher levels of quality and customer care.
- Self Catering properties are assessed using stars. The more stars (from one to five) the higher the levels of quality you can expect.
- Holiday Parks, Touring and Camping Parks are assessed using stars or pennants. The rating reflects the overall quality of the park with progressively higher standards of quality up to five star/pennant.
- Camping Barns are assessed under the designation of hostel accommodation. Camping barns provide very simple accommodation. Visitors should normally expect to bring their own sleeping bags and cooking equipment.
Contact Visit Britain:
- Address: Security House, Alexandra Way, Ashchurch, Tewksbury, Gloucestershire GL20 8NB
- Telephone: 0845 3006996
- Fax: 01386 854319
- Email: email@example.com
- Website: www.qualityintourism.com
Contact the AA:
- Address: AA Hotel Services, 14th Floor Farum House, Basingstoke RG21 4EA
- Telephone: 01256 844455
- Email: HotelServicesCustomerSupport@theAA.com
- Website: www.theaa.com
Wheelchair Accessible Holiday Accommodation
For wheelchair users or those who have difficulty in walking. All the places displaying one of the accessibility symbols have been assessed by an accommodation inspector against criteria reflecting the practical needs of wheelchair users. For information on the criteria visit the Visit England website.
National Schemes and Assessments
VisitBritain also provide a number of additional Welcome Schemes for the following: Pets, Families, Cyclists and Walkers. These schemes highlight operators that provide facilities and services to welcome certain groups.
A National Accessible Scheme has been developed that provides a set of standards which accommodation establishments are assessed and rated against. The assessment covers three types of impairment: Mobility, Hearing and Visual. The standards are designed to allow people with disabilities to make an informed choice about where they want to go on holiday to in the UK.