The Tour of Britain 2016
Eden welcomed Stage 2 of the Tour of Britain (ToB) - Carlisle to Kendal on Monday 5 September 2016
Stage 2 of the race this year was all within Cumbria, starting at Carlisle and finishing in Kendal. In Eden the race passed through Armathwaite, Kirkoswald, Lazonby, Penrith, Eamont Bridge, Pooley Bridge, then alongside Ullswater up to Greystoke past Matterdale End. It then continued to Millhouse before leaving Eden on its way to Cockermouth. Later in the stage, the route touched the Eden boundary again near the Kirkstone Pass Inn after having climbed The Struggle before dropping down to Windermere.
The 2015 ToB was hugely popular in Eden with 50,000 people attending the Cumbrian Stage (which was almost entirely within Eden) and lining the route to cheer on the cyclists which included Sir Bradley Wiggins.
Stage 2 of the Tour of Britain in Eden
On Monday 5 September, the riders and teams' support staff assembled on English Street, Carlisle for an 11am start.
Riders then cycled through Armathwaite, Kirkoswald and Lazonby before arriving in Penrith town centre. They then followed the A6 to Eamont Bridge and took the B5320 to arrive at the temporary bridge at Pooley Bridge just after midday.
After riding alongside the western shore of Ullswater, they headed north through Greystoke, followed by the first of three Sprints at Hesket Newmarket just before 1pm.
Riders then continued west along the B5291, towards Bassenthwaite Lake.
Teams and riders competing in the Tour of Britain
- Dan Martin to lead Etixx Quick-Step in Tour of Britain
- Olympic Champion Elia Viviani to lead Team Sky in Tour of Britain
- Mark Cavandish leads first star names in Tor of Britain line-up
- Sir Bradley Wiggins and Owain Doull confirmed for Tour of Britain
- Wout Poels and Edoardo Zardini return to the Tour of Britain
- Tom Dumoulin leads provisional line-up of world-class time trialists
- JLT Condor, Madison Genesis and NFTO line-up for Tour of Britain
Watch as the Tour of Britain races through Penrith
TV Coverage for the Tour of Britain
Live coverage of the ToB was available on the Bike Channel UK (available on Sky channel 464, Virgin Media channel 552. and Freesat channel 251.)
Alongside the BIKE Channel, ITV4 also screened live coverage and highlights daily from ToB.
Special Tour of Britain events
- Ullswater 'Steamers' decorated the Pier House at Pooley Bridge and the boats were decorated with yellow bunting, staff wore inflatable bike helmets and there were bike balloons as well. They also had the yellow flag on the boat ensign.
- Waterfoot mowed a grass bike in the field.
Eden District Council supported Tour of Britain Community Events in Lazonby and Millhouse through the Eden Community Fund:
- Friends of Lazonby School worked with local artist Nem Sarton to create a Tour of Britain themed aerial artwork which also featured the River Eden to reflect the flood recovery. The mural will be hung up in Lazonby School after the event
- Millhouse and District Public Room together with Millhouse Flood Action group decorated the village to welcome the Tour passing through and there were refreshments for spectators in the village hall