Ordnance Survey maps
The following OS maps cover much of Eden:
Landranger (1:50,000) maps
- OS 86 Haltwhistle and Brampton
- OS 91 Appleby-in-Westmorland
- OS 90 Penrith, Keswick and Ambleside area
Explorer (1:25 000 scale) maps
- OL5 The English Lakes North Eastern Area
- OL19 Howgill Fells and Upper Eden Valley
- OL31 North Pennines
The full range of OS maps is available from Penrith Tourist Information Centre.
Bikes on trains
Penrith is on the West Coast mainline and both the TransPennine Express and Anvanti West Coast services that stop here carry bikes free of charge.
However, due to limited space advance reservations are needed and can be made by contacting:
Armathwaite, Lazonby, Langwathby, Appleby and Kirkby Stephen stations on the Settle - Carlisle line are served by Northern Rail trains, which have limited spaces for bikes. For more information contact:
Ensure you check whether there are engineering works taking place that may affect your journey. If rail replacement buses are operating in place of trains during engineering works, then unfortunately you won't be able to take a cycle on them. Check by visiting The National Rail website before you travel.
Good Cycling Code
Obey the rules of the road
- Always follow the highway code
- Ride in single file to let vehicles overtake
- Don't assume everyone can see or hear you
- Give way to pedestrians, wheelchair users and horse riders
- Ring your bell or call out (to horse riders) to alert of your approach
- Acknowledge people who give way to you
Care for the environment
- Try to reach the start of your journey by bike or public transport
- Follow the countryside code: Respect, Protect, Enjoy
- Take any litter home
- Cycle on roads, byways, bridleways and cycle paths, not public footpaths
Look after yourself
- Wear a properly fitting helmet and wear bright, waterproof clothing
- Be alert to potential hazards and take extra care
- Carry enough food and water, and a map
- Check tyres, brakes and gears often and be able to deal with a puncture
- Use lights in poor visibility
- Don't use any hand-held device whilst cycling
Look at www.lakedistrict.gov.uk for codes specifically for enjoying off-road riding.
Thank you for cycling! The bike is the most efficient and environmentally friendly form of transport invented.