Cycling in Eden
The Aviva Tour of Britain came to Eden on Thursday 10 September 2015 with a spectacular sporting finish!
Riding a bike over rolling terrain on quiet rural roads and bridleway tracks is an exhilarating way to enjoy Eden's epic scenery. The Eden Valley and Orton Fells, spread as they are between the tougher terrain of the Lake District and North Pennines, are especially good for circular rides from places like Penrith, Appleby and Kirkby Stephen market towns, which are all accessible by train too. Higher altitude Alston offers adventurous outings for the more experienced cyclist.
Where these rides coincide with sections of the three long distance cycle routes which pass through Eden, the Sea to Sea (C2C), Walney to Wear and Whitby (W2W) and Pennine Cycleway, you will be following the blue signs of these challenging National Cycle Network routes and maybe sharing a few words with those who are touring along them. Plenty of Land's End - John O'Groats cyclists pass through Eden as well.
Just make your choice from the list below to find out more:
- Day bike rides: Easy to follow circular routes on quiet roads in Eden and the Lake District
- Downloadable Eden Cycle Routes: Circular cycle routes for Eden and the Lake District including routes for:
- Family cycling in Eden and Lake District: Traffic-free and back road rides
- Eden and Lake District Mountain biking: Bridleways and other upland tracks
- Classic climbs: Hartside and Tan Hill
- Long distance bike rides: Two 'coast-to-coast' and other challenging routes
- Cycle hire, guided rides and tuition: Where to find the latest cycling information
- Eden and Lake District Cycling help: Ordnance Survey maps covering Eden, weather forecasts, bikes on trains and Cumbria's Good Cycling Code
- Cycle Shops, bike repair and maintenance: Cycle shops in Eden, plus bike repairs and maintenance in the area
- Cycling Events: Visit our events listing and search for Cycling events in Eden
- The Tour of Britain came to Eden on Thursday 10 September with a spectacular sporting finish!
The Eden Trails
There are two cycling itineraries to take in the best bits of Eden by bike to inspire more people to explore the fabulous hidden gems on offer in Eden. The routes include:
- Armathwaite: Family Cycle Trail - a fantastic cycle trail through some of Eden's most picturesque villages
- The Yellow Jersey Loop - inspired by Sir Bradley Wiggins and his 2012 Tour de France victory, this route celebrates everything that is great about cycling in Penrith and the Eden Valley.
Download them via the Nurture Lakeland website.
Cycle More Eden mobile app
There is also a Cycle More Eden mobile app which can be downloaded for free from the App Store or Google Play.
Looking for cyclist friendly accommodation in Eden?
Overnight or for longer, the Eden area offers a range of places to stay.
Establishments in our 'Cyclist Friendly' accommodation section display the 'Cyclist Friendly' symbol to say they're Cyclist Friendly. Or have obtained 'Cyclists Welcome' accreditation to provide extra facilities and services confirmed by inspection.