History and Heritage of Penrith
Penrith grew up at the crossroads of several important routes. The castle and the narrow roads and yards were built as defences against raids from the north. With its central location, Penrith developed as a market town for the surrounding area. The town retains much of its medieval layout, the wide open spaces where animals and agricultural produce were sold, contrasting with small yards, often bearing the names of former inhabitants.
Penrith and Eden Museum is housed in the old Robinson's School building, which was established in 1670 for the education of poor girls. The Museum features the archaeology, art, social, cultural and natural history of the district.
The Coronation Garden was created as a community garden in 1938, to celebrate King George VI's Coronation. After being neglected and underused over the years, regeneration of the garden has been carried out as a partnership between the Rotary Club of Penrith, (to celebrate the centenary of Rotary International), and Eden District Council with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) and Eden District Council.
Work to the garden included restoring some of the original features, creating raised beds, a sensory garden, sculptures, adding lighting and a time line of the history of Penrith. Phase One of the Coronation Garden was completed at the end of 2012 with further work to complete the project ongoing. The garden incorporates a number of original features that relate directly to the heritage of Penrith. Its layout was designed to incorporate the shape of St Andrew's Cross, on which the town's coat of arms is based in recognition of Penrith's close links with Scotland.
Richard Duke of Gloucester, the future Richard III, was granted the manor of Penrith and the future king lived at Penrith Castle for periods between 1471 and 1485. Our Richard III webpage has more information on his links to Penrith
William Wordsworth, the poet, attended the school in the Tudor house near Saint Andrew's Church. A leaflet detailing Wordsworth's connections with the town is available at the Tourist Information Centre
Samuel Plimsoll spent 10 years of his childhood in Penrith. He was influential in the passing of the Merchant Shipping Act of 1876 and the painting of 'Plimsoll lines' on ships, to prevent overloading
Bonnie Prince Charlie lodged in part of the George Hotel, formerly the George and Dragon Inn, in November 1745 on his way south in an attempt to regain the throne for the Stuarts
- Percy Toplis, 'The Monocled Mutineer', was shot dead by police north of Penrith and laid to rest in an unmarked grave in the cemetery. There is a display about him in the museum
Penrith has many historical landmarks, including St Andrew's Church, Penrith Castle, Beacon Pike or Tower and the Musgrave Monument.