Get Around Eden
Once you are here, you can begin your tour of Eden. You could even leave the car behind and use the bus, train, bike or Steamer.
Please note that unfortunately the bridge at Pooley Bridge (on the B5320 through the village) was washed away during Storm Desmond in December. It is hoped that a temporary bridge will be in place for Easter 2016.
The village of Glenridding can be reached via the A592 (past Dalemain Historic House and Gardens) coming from the Penrith area and over Kirkstone Pass (A592) from South Lakeland. From the Keswick direction, Glenridding can also be reached via the A5091 by turning off at Troutbeck on the A66 between Penrith and Keswick.
Eamont Bridge which carries the A6 through Eamont Bridge village is currently closed as the bridge suffered damage in Storm Desmond in December. Whilst it is awaiting repair there is a diversion in place from the A66 via Brougham. This diversion gives access to Eamont Bridge village, Yanwath, Tirill and Pooley Bridge village and to Clifton, Shap and the A6 southbound. Alternatively, if travelling from the south, you can take the Junction 39 exit from the M6 and then the A6 north.
Train times and fares are available via the Settle to Carlisle Railway website.
Bus Timetables for the whole of Eden can be found on the County Council website.
- Cumbria Classic Coaches offer trips and excursions throughout the year on their vintage half-cab buses, capturing the spirit of England's rural history
- The Traveline website offers comprehensive travel information for Eden
- Fellrunner buses serve most of the villages in the Penrith area with services to Penrith or Carlisle. All buses are driven by local volunteers for the benefit of the community. Most services allow for about 3 hours in Penrith and 4 hours in Carlisle
- Grand Prix Coaches run the bus services from Penrith to Kirkby Stephen and the villages in between, telephone 017683 41328 for more information
- National Express coaches operate a service from Penrith to destinations outside Eden. For further information telephone 08717 818181
- NBM run a service in and around Penrith for further information telephone 01768 892727
- Robinsons buses operate in and around the Appleby area, for further information telephone 017683 51424
- Stagecoach run a bus service within Eden. Individual bus timetables for specific routes are available from Cumbria County Council to make planning your trip around Eden easier
- Telfords 680 service between Nenthead, Alston, Brampton and Carlisle runs Monday to Saturday (excluding Bank Holidays). For further information telephone 013873 75677
- Wright Bros coaches operate services from Nenthead and Alston to Hexham, Newcastle, Brampton and Carlisle. for further information telephone 01434 381200
Why not explore Eden's epic scenery by bike? Bring your own or hire one when you get here to discover all that Eden has to offer.
Ullswater 'Steamers' create the perfect opportunity to travel around Lake Ullswater by boat.
The UK Taxi Firms Directory has details of local taxi firms in Penrith, Kirkby Stephen, Alston and Appleby
Car Hire and Rental
Enterprise Car Hire, Penrith
Westmorland Vehicle Hire, Penrith
Eden Garage, Temple Sowerby, Penrith
Practical Car Rental, Penrith
Or why not enjoy Eden with a classic car from Lakes and Dales Classic Car Hire?
For any further information about getting around Eden, please contact Penrith Tourist Information Centre.