Get Around Eden
Once you are here, you can begin your tour of Eden. You could even leave the car behind and use the bus, train, bike, Steamer or electric car (a Twizy!)
**The Settle Carlisle Railway line is closed between Appleby and Carlisle following a large landslip near Armathwaite. Until further notice trains will run only between Appleby and Leeds (and vice versa). Rail replacement coaches will run Carlisle to/from Appleby. One bus will travel directly Carlisle to/from Appleby and another travel Carlisle to/from Appleby calling at Langwathby, Lazonby and Armathwaite. For up to date information please visit the Settle to Carlisle Railway website. This stretch of line is due to reopen on 31 March 2017.**
Bus Timetables for the whole of Eden can be found on the County Council website.
- Cumbria Classic Coaches offer trips and excursions throughout the year on their vintage half-cab buses, capturing the spirit of England's rural history. The also operatate (from 31 January 2017) a new service Kirkby Stephen-Appleby-Penrith once a week
- The Traveline website offers comprehensive travel information for Eden
- Fellrunner buses serve most of the villages in the Penrith area with services to Penrith or Carlisle. All buses are driven by local volunteers for the benefit of the community. Most services allow for about 3 hours in Penrith and 4 hours in Carlisle
- National Express coaches operate a service from Penrith to destinations outside Eden. For further information telephone 08717 818181
- NBM run a service in and around Penrith for further information telephone 01768 892727
- Robinsons buses operate in and around the Appleby area, for further information telephone 017683 51424
- Stagecoach run a bus service within Eden. Individual bus timetables for specific routes are available from Cumbria County Council to make planning your trip around Eden easier
- Telfords 680 service between Nenthead, Alston, Brampton and Carlisle runs Monday to Saturday (excluding Bank Holidays). For further information telephone 013873 75677
- Wright Bros coaches operate services from Nenthead and Alston to Hexham, Newcastle, Brampton and Carlisle. For further information telephone 01434 381200
Why not explore Eden's epic scenery by bike? Bring your own or hire one when you get here to discover all that Eden has to offer.
Ullswater 'Steamers' create the perfect opportunity to travel around Lake Ullswater by boat.
The UK Taxi Firms Directory has details of local taxi firms in Penrith, Kirkby Stephen, Alston and Appleby
Car Hire and Rental
Enterprise Car Hire, Penrith
Westmorland Vehicle Hire, Penrith
Eden Garage, Temple Sowerby, Penrith
Practical Car Rental, Penrith
Or why not enjoy Eden with a classic car from Lakes and Dales Classic Car Hire?
Co-Wheels Car Club: Save money by booking via Penrith TIC
- Co-Wheels is the only independently-owned national car club, providing low emission, hybrid and electric cars on a pay-as-you-go basis for organisations and communities across the UK. A Co-Wheels car can be picked up from Penrith Station and if you book your hire car in advance via Penrith TIC using a special promotional code you will receive a special £10 membership deal, no monthly fee plus a £5 driving credit (normally £25 and £5 monthly fee). Sign up online via http://www.co-wheels.org.uk/join and enter the special promotional code VCHPPTIC to receive your special membership deal. You can also book your Co-Wheels car in person at Penrith TIC - but please be aware that cars are subject to availability. For more details visit the Co-Wheels website. Penrith TIC can provide details of other car hire companies too.
Electric Cars (Twizy)
- For transport with a difference - a flock of electric 'sheep' - Twizys - are now available to hire to explore Eden and the Ullswater Valley. They are available for hire and are the perfect way to take short journeys around the area in the knowledge that your low carbon footprint will be helping the area. Electric Vehicle charge points can be found at Glenridding and Rheged.
For any further information about getting around Eden, please contact Penrith Tourist Information Centre.